Last night was our first night in our house. Surely, that is cause for celebration, right?
We won’t have a solid internet connection for a little while. We were supposed to have internet yesterday, but things didn’t work out that way. We’re waiting on a company to come out and run a cable under the road, because the box is across the street from our house. Normally, we would use our smart phones to get internet (we have an unlimited data plan). However, we get almost zero cell phone reception out here. It takes an ungodly amount of time to load pictures and posts. So, the frequency of my posts may not be back to normal for at least one more week.
Anyway, although I haven’t posted anything new about the house in the past few weeks, we have been busy. In an attempt to curb the urge to post one update of an absurd length, I will post at least two separate updates about different areas of the house.
We’ll start with the bedrooms.
In my last update I mentioned that I’d finished painting the master bedroom with Kilz. About a week and a half ago, we finished getting the master bedroom ready for us to move in. We sort of cheated though… We broke down and bought a paint sprayer, because we have an enormous amount of painting to do, including all the ceilings. Plus, I was getting some serious neck strain from painting the ceiling with the roller.
Anyway, we sprayed the bedroom and bathroom down. We used some paint that my in-laws said they didn’t need. How could we argue with free paint?
I had several tension rods and curtains, which I used for the closets and doorways. I used the existing rods to hang curtains in the windows. I’m working on some solid curtains for the doorways, so that when we have people over our bedroom isn’t in full view. But, the sheers are OK for now. At least they create a barrier between the room and the work area.
Our bed arrived about a week ago, and I set it up with some nice lightweight bedding.
When I was a kid, my sisters and I used to put blankets and pillows on the floor and jump from one to the other, pretending that we were avoiding hot lava. (Did anyone else do something like this?) Hopping from rug to rug in our bedroom reminds me of that memory, and makes the experience entertaining.
The Upstairs Rooms
The day that we painted the master bedroom, we gave the walls in the upstairs bedroom a quick coat of paint.
I gave the closets and cubbies a thorough scrubbing and cleaned the floor as much as possible. Laura cleaned the upstairs bathroom for me, including the wall. She is wonderful!
I also cleaned the stairway, the hallway walls, and the A/C return duct.
Side note: The picture below is of the light fixture at the top of the stairs. I like the retro pattern. I don’t like the brass color. I think I’m going to keep this fixture, find suitable glass paint, paint along the existing pattern in the color of my choosing, and eventually incorporate it somewhere in the house.
I’ve moved all of my sewing stuff here, and most of it is in the cubby room for now. I did set up a rug that I bought during a trip to Ikea with Laura last Friday. It was a really good deal. I also set up my sewing table and ironing board to sew up some curtains.
I can get a sliver of an internet connection if I put my phone in the middle of my sewing room’s dormer window. So, I’ve been having a good time sitting at that window writing and looking out at the world.
Tomorrow, I’ll post about the kitchen, Alex’s new machines in his basement shop, the yard and the pool.