Two Plaid Shirts From Thrifted Dress
I’m back again with some another “catch-up” post from my hiatus. Here are two shirts that I made from a thrifted dress two Autumns ago.
I cannot find the “before” picture of the dress that I used to make these two tops. It had a massive collar and a tie under the collar. I guess it was meant for those times when you can’t decide which neckline you like best.
It was like this dress with the sailor collar and tie, but the drop-waist pleated skirt was floor-length. There were also buttons down the back of the bodice.
Anyway, I made a Deer and Doe Bruyere shirt solely from the skirt portion of the dress.
I cut about a size smaller than my first Bruyere shirt. I also shortened the bodice pieces by about 1/2″ and the shirt bottom pieces by about 1.5″. I cut the sleeves at elbow length and just finished them with a folded over band.
I did the best I could with the plaid matching given the limited amount of material, and honestly, I was very surprised with the results.
The other shirt was made from the bodice portion of the thrifted dresss. I took everything apart, reshaped the pieces and sewed it back together.
The collar was a strange shape and it was very unflattering, so I removed the collar and reshaped the neckline. I left the buttons on the back bodice pieces and added a new tie at the neckline. The sleeves are much shorter and more fitted than the original sleeves.
It’s pretty boxy, so it’s not my favorite top, but I have worn it tucked into a maxi skirt and with cardigans.
The skirt I’m wearing in these photos is a Hummingbird that I made several years ago.
And because no post is complete without at least one photo of me being a goof…