The Newsroom Dress
Today’s piece was not in the picture from yesterday of all my thrift store treasures (It was hanging to dry after being laundered, and I forgot about it), but I did come across it on the same trip.
I loved the pattern and general shape of this dress, and the fact that it had pockets.
It was definitely from the ’70s or early ’80s with 100% Rayon fabric. Thankfully, there were no shoulder pads, but there was a stiff muslin piece on the inside, at the shoulder/sleeve seam, to give the sleeves a sharp puff. The pattern itself doesn’t consist of crisp polka-dots, but rather a sponged/airbrushed dot look.
It made me think of a newsroom for some reason. Maybe I saw a similar dress in the newsroom on the Mary Tyler Moore Show (Yes, I sometimes watch old TV shows from the ’70s. It is strictly for inspirational purposes ;)). No matter where the inspiration came from, we’re calling this The Newsroom Dress.
At some point in its lifetime, someone attempted to shorten the waistline of the dress. I could tell it was an alteration to the dress, because there was a buttonhole in the fold. I wouldn’t have minded it if the line was straight and all the way around the dress, but it wasn’t. Not to mention, there was smocking in the back of the dress, which would have made it a pain to sew a nice line all the way around. So, I just ripped out the poorly executed tailoring attempt.
As you can see in the previous picture, there was also a missing button at the waist, but not to worry. I’ll be cutting the neckline down a bit, so a button from the top can stand in for its missing comrade at the waist.
I know the sleeves could have been remedied, and there are no shoulder pads…but, I’m a bit trigger happy with my scissors and seam ripper lately, and it is still too warm to be comfortably donning dresses with sleeves.
The length just wouldn’t do either. So, with a few snips and pins, I was ready to sew up the new hemline.
I took the dress in a little bit at the sides of the bodice and shaped new armholes. The shoulder seams needed to be adjusted as well. I paid careful attention to the pleats that were at the shoulder seam.
I then finished the edges around the neckline and armholes, and made a little belt with the excess fabric from the skirt.
Here is the final product.
Paired with a sweet white cardigan, the dress would be ready for a fashionable day in the newsroom, or a day of in-depth reporting.
For those wanting to know more about Mr. Newton, you’ll have to wait until another edition. 😉