This will be a very picture-heavy post, simply because I LOVE this coat. Since I have so many pictures, I will have a separate post up in the next few days about the pattern and construction process.
Technically this was a muslin, and there are several things I will change about the pattern after making this coat, but I hope you’ll agree that this is a very wearable muslin.
The material is actually a vintage double-knit that I found at a thrift store several years ago. The pattern in the fabric is perfect for a coat. At first, I chose the material because there was plenty of it and I didn’t have plans for it otherwise. However, once I started cutting it out, I realized how perfect the material was for a coat.
I like a lot of room in my sleeves, but I seem to have overcompensated. I’ll definitely fix the pattern so that the sleeves aren’t so big.
When making the pattern, there were several things that I had to change, including making it just a tad bigger (the store-bought one was an extra-small) because I wanted to be able to wear layers underneath it. There were a few other design changes like the collar size, the pocket size (I could hardly fit my hands in the store-bought coat pockets), the sleeve width and length, and a few other design details. More information about that in my next post. Anyway, I think this project is a total success.
The coat is comfy and cute, and I’ll be wearing it a lot. I’ve wanted an off-white coat for years, and now I have one. It took many hours to reach completion of this coat, but it was well worth it. Call me crazy, but I’m ready to do it again. It’s so rewarding when you put so much time and effort into something and you finally finish it. There are changes I’ll be making to the pattern (more details in the next post), and I have a variation that I’d like to try, as well. When I look at the inside of the coat, I find myself brimming with happiness. I even have a hanging loop and a tag with my old logo on it.
In the next post, I’ll show you the details of the construction.