As I said in my previous post about this coat, I modeled it after a favorite well-worn coat that I have had for several years.
I’m sorry for the horrible quality of the pictures, I was sick the day I took them. However, they work for showing you what the store-bought coat looks like.
The store-bought coat is an extra-small, so it has always been difficult to wear anything too bulky underneath it in the winter. Therefore, I sized up just a tad for the pattern, to make it more like a size small.
My biggest complaint with this jacket has always been the sleeves and armholes. I can hardly lift my arms in the jacket, especially when it’s buttoned. It’s so bad, I’ve always had difficulty extending my arms out in front of me, parallel to the ground.
Why in the world did I get the jacket in the first place when it didn’t fit properly? Well, it was deeply discounted and I loved the style too much to pass it up. Be honest, you know you’ve done the same thing once or twice.
Anyway, I made the sleeves bigger and a bit longer (I like longer sleeves). I have pretty good range of motion, even with the jacket buttoned.
There were some other changes. I widened the welt pocket opening a bit because I could hardly fit my hand into the opening on the store-bought jacket (and I have small hands). I also changed the placement of the welt pocket.
I made the collar a bit bigger, because I love large collars on coats. I topstitched along the bodice piece seamlines and along the collar seam lines.
I added elastic at the back between the two outside pleats to give the jacket a better shape. But for the final coat design, I’m going to take the back bodice pieces in just a smidge, and add a buttoned on belt, just as Lauren suggested in her comment on the last post. I didn’t have enough left-over fabric to add any details in the back. But, I think details are what make an article of clothing really stand out. Don’t you agree?
To make this post a bit more bearable (hopefully, better than bearable), I’ll show the construction process in photos with relatively brief explanations.
Just a note: between just about every step in the process, I was at the iron pressing everything into submission. Pressing is an extremely important step, but I didn’t want to come across as a repetitive sewing snob.
For some reason I don’t have pictures, but I made the fabric covered buttons and sewed the buttons and buttonholes on the jacket fronts.
After many hours, to my total surprise, I had something that was not only wearable but lovable.
More pictures of the completed coat here, if you’re interested.
Now I’m off to make some changes and start on another coat!