The Florist Halter
Yesterday, I decided to start with a vintage shirt instead of a dress. I wanted a project that was a little quicker, since most of the day was spent running errands and thoroughly cleaning the house. (Ugh! But boy does it feel wonderful to have a clean house.) We also had dinner plans with my grandparents last night (which was a lot of fun, by the way). So, I needed to find a project that didn’t take much time.
So, here it is. I think someone wore this while working at a florist in the ‘80s.
It had long sleeves, aqua stripes made up of flowers, and in the middle of the shirt…
The front of the shirt was graced with this huge basket of flowers. I felt like I was one big floral arrangement waiting to be delivered for some special occasion.
However, there were things I liked about this shirt: the feel of the material, the weight of the material and the aqua flower stripes. I bought it thinking I would use it somehow.
The first thing I did was turn the shirt around so there was no longer a floral gift basket advertisement on the front of the shirt.
I still wanted to use that basket of flowers somehow, but I wanted to make sure it wasn’t quite so loud. I decided I was going to transform this shirt into a halter-like tank, with a racerback. So, the first order of business was to cut off the ribbing at the neckline.
Next, I measured and cut the sides of the shirt down to the bottom of the sleeves, in a halter shape.
Since the back of the halter was going to be a racerback that gathered at the neck, I had to cut it out in that shape. I started at the side of the shirt, from where I had cut to on the front, and cut up to the top of the shirt in a racerback shape.
It was going to be looser fitting, but it was a bit too big for my taste. So, I took it in a bit on the sides.
I prepped and finished the edges around the sides of the front and the back.
Since I wasn’t going for the Amazon woman look, something had to go around the neck to hold the front and back pieces up. To make the tie around the neck, I cut a rectangular piece out of one of the sleeves. (I measured to make sure it was long enough to go around my neck and tie at one side.)
I then folded the rectangle, right sides together, and sewed along the long edge. All that was left was to attach a safety pin to one side and pull it through.
The top front and top of back of the top had to be pinned and sewn to make a casing for the tie.
Using a safety pin again, I pulled the tie through the front and back casings.
Once I tried it on, there was a big problem. The front sides were gaping and not providing the coverage and protection necessary. To fix this problem, I added darts at the front, starting where the front and back met.
OK. Now we have success!
The screen printed flower basket creates an interesting look to the back of the halter.
The darts were the perfect fix for the gape that would’ve made this top unsuitable for public wear.
It’s perfect for a hot summer day, here in the desert.
After completing this top I was in the mood to buy some flowers to brighten up my house. So, while I was out running errands, I picked these up. Having fresh flowers in the house always make me smile. 🙂