My birthday was wonderful! I wore my birthday sundress, and my sister made me a cake in the shape of a dress. She is so creative!
They even got Little Mermaid plates for the cake. I may have had those exact plates for the only birthday party that I can remember having, which was when I was (I think) five.
My mom found the childhood dress that I referred to in the previous post (the one my grandma made, probably for the same birthday I had the Little Mermaid party).
I got some money to spend on more thrift store purchases and fabrics.
My mother-in-law gave me this cute pincushion made from found (recycled) materials. Awesome!
Moving on to the project for the day…
I had a lot of sewing projects today (the birthday weekend put me behind schedule), so I needed something quick and easy. I started out with a couple of different items.
I bought this shirt a while back from the thrift store. My original plan was to turn this into a basic black tank. I loved the decorative yoke and the tie in the back (I’m obsessed with details on the back of clothing at the moment.)
I did not love the huge puff sleeves. I have no problem with puff sleeves (In fact, I add them to a lot of clothes I make), as long as they’re not Deb-style (Deb from Napoleon Dynamite). Seriously though, the first words that came out of my husband’s mouth when I put on this shirt were, “I like your sleeves.”
Anyway, I couldn’t leave this a tank top because I discovered a hole in the middle of the shirt. So, it was dressmaking time. I grabbed this fabric that I’d found at the thrift store about a year ago, up in Idaho.
I was going to use this fabric for the skirt of the dress.
The first thing I did was cut the shirt in half, above the hole. Later, I had to cut it up further to make the dress an empire waist style.
Then, I took the herculean sleeves off with my handy dandy seam ripper. The armholes were too big, so I took the sides of the shirt in a bit.
The plan was to make an empire waist dress, which meant I wanted a loose and “flowy” skirt. So, I measured how long I needed the skirt to be, put the right sides of the fabric together, and cut out a rectangle for the skirt.
I sewed a seam along the fold of the fabric and along the selvage (with right sides together) and serged the seam for durability.
I attached the skirt to the bottom of the shirt, and added some recycled elastic at the bodice and skirt seam.
I then finished the raw edges around the armholes and hemmed the bottom of the dress. I thought it would be interesting to do a blind hem instead of a regular hem.
When the dress was finished, I found it necessary to wear a cami underneath. The armholes were still pretty big, which makes it perfect for wearing around the house, but not in public (at least not for me).