Two Plaid Shirts From Thrifted Dress

IMG_5245I’m back again with some another “catch-up” post from my hiatus. Here are two shirts that I made from a thrifted dress two Autumns ago.

I cannot find the “before” picture of the dress that I used to make these two tops. It had a massive collar and a tie under the collar. I guess it was meant for those times when you can’t decide which neckline you like best.

It was like this dress with the sailor collar and tie, but the drop-waist pleated skirt was floor-length. There were also buttons down the back of the bodice.

Read more

Reinvigorated Kitchen Chalkboard Decor

IMG_5389So, by now you have figured out that shades of turquoise and aqua are like a drug to me.

Yes, I definitely have a problem. And yes, when observing my color addiction, people have been known to reference Marie’s purple everywhere in Breaking Bad.

Here is a terrible photo of my wacky kitchen. As you can see, I have little blue accents everywhere. ;P Whatever… The color makes me happy, so why fight it?

Also, gotta love those wacky ’70s scallop cabinets in combination with that ugly tile, right? Ha! Just so much going on in there. It’s also extremely dark in the kitchen, because it’s pretty closed off from any natural lighting. Anyway, one day the kitchen will be reinvigorated, but for now I’ll just enjoy its “retro” (although, probably not in a good way, in this case) charm.

Anyway, this chalkboard shelf…decoration…thing in my kitchen was an upcycle from a thrifted item. I think I bought it for about $2.

Read more

Reconstructed Lace Insert Shirt Tutorial

laceinserttutorialThis is the second of the three tutorials I mentioned in this post. The tutorial below explains how to make a top with lace yokes and sleeve inserts, using a large recycled turtleneck and some stretchy lace. The lace I used was in the remnant pile at Hancock, but you could probably find a lace top to recycle if you want you’re top to be made entirely from recycled materials.

It wasn’t necessary to take a picture of the shirt before because it was just a big turtleneck. So, I’ll start with an explanation of how I cut it up.

Read more

Polka dots for spring

I found this vintage polka dot dress at the thrift store for $5. That’s more than I am usually willing to pay, but I tried it on at the store and I envisioned what it could be, so I decided $5 wasn’t so bad…In general, it was a bit too small. It had boning which was poking into me and sticking out in places…The boning also made the dress look a bit to snug at the waist, and the skirt was a bit tighter than what I consider comfortable at the hips.

Read more

Reconstructed floral cowl dress

This dress was a project that had been in the works for almost a year. I cut the material out and planned everything months and months ago. Since I’ve been pushing myself to work through my Unfinished project pile, I decided to finish it…I made this dress using a large thrifted mock-turtleneck shirt. Unfortunately, I don’t have a before picture, but it was big and it had long sleeves and a mock-turtleneck…So I hacked away at the top to create the bodice of this dress. I just kept cutting away material until I had pieces that would give me a nice fit. Then I sewed all of the pieces together.

Read more

%d bloggers like this: