I finally got up the strength of will to draft a renovation update. I must give you fair warning: this will be a LONG post because it has been over half a year since I’ve done a renovation update. (*Reminder: if you are not interested in posts about our home renovation, you can choose to subscribe to just the sewing & crafting section of this blog in the sidebar.*)
I haven’t posted an update about our home renovation in a LONG time, but Alex and I have been working on the house quite a but lately. We’ve been doing lots of demolition, and we’re getting very excited about seeing our vision come to life. We have set a goal to finish a large portion of the inside of the house before the warmth of spring arrives. That way we can focus on the outside of the house in the spring…
Destroying that old, nasty, moldy kitchen was invigorating!
We found another gem of a message left for us from the teenage girl who used to live here…
We’re making progress here and there on the kitchen. We measured and planned out the cabinet boxes…Then, we constructed the cabinet boxes for one side of the kitchen, sans the facings. I even helped with cutting the wood, and I got to use the nail gun a few times…The first thing I made on the stove was peanut chicken…If you’re curious, here’s how to make this dish…
Alex and I have been enjoying working on the new kitchen together. I love learning new things, and he’s been teaching me as we go along. I learned all about the electrical and the plumbing as he worked on the new kitchen walls…After all of the wiring was done for this wall, Alex and I measured, cut and hung the sheetrock.
Anyway, although I haven’t posted anything new about the house in the past few weeks, we have been busy. In an attempt to curb the urge to post one update of an absurd length, I will post at least two separate updates about different areas of the house. We’ll start with the bedrooms.
Those words usually hold no solace for me. Temporary could be a month, or it could be many months. So, rather than reminding myself, it’s temporary, you can live with it, I’m going to make the best of it.
Now is my chance to experiment with things I would never try otherwise. The first of which is painting the floor in my sewing room.
The house is almost to the point where we can live in it comfortably…Here’s a look at the process of removing wallpaper, which I learned from my in-laws…I’ve finished the primer coat on the bedroom walls, ceiling, closets, and bathroom and sink area…This week, Alex put a new window where the kitchen will be moving.
We tore out the rest of the floor in the main level. Well, my husband did the majority of that, but I helped with some of it. We needed to take all that old flooring out in order to start on the new kitchen.