When I was in California, I didn’t have any of my pattern drafting tools with me but I decided to try to draft a few patterns anyway.
When I found the sweater material above in my $2 bag from Loft, I wanted to make a shirt to go with the skirt I bought while at the thrift store with my sister.
I had to alter the size and length of the skirt, and I opted to use an invisible zipper instead of the one on the skirt originally (because it was a lapped zipper, and it puffed out on the side). Anyway, the skirt had to be taken in a bit on the sides all the way down, but especially at the waist. So, I had to take the waist band apart, as well.
I used pieces cut from the bottom of the skirt to make the sleeve, neckline, and hemline bands.
As you can see from the first picture in this post, the sweater material was a very uneven cut and there wasn’t much of it. So, I cut the sleeves in two pieces and formed chevron stripes.
I don’t care much for the skirt (a major bummer after all the work I did to alter it), but I really like the top.
I just love the neckline. It is wide, but not so wide that I have to worry about my bra straps showing all the time.
The bow does come untied. The ends are sewn into the ends of the neckline band.
I’m going to make a few more, some with the small bow and some with a bigger bow. For the smaller bows, I’m going to shorten the ties a bit. I think I’ll make a few different sleeve lengths as well.
I drafted another shirt pattern while I was in California, and I’m working on a few projects made from that pattern. I’ll share those soon, as well.