Self-drafted, Open Back Sundress
For the past two summers, an open back sundress has been on my “must-make” list. I never found a suitable pattern and therefore never got around to it, until now. About a month-and-a-half ago, I decided to create an open back sundress pattern from my own basic bodice pattern (which I have drafted and re-drafted in attempts to get the perfect fit).
Anyway, to make the new pattern, I simply traced the basic pattern and reworked it according to what I wanted the new dress to look like. I lowered the front neckline a little and the back neckline a lot.
So, once I had the muslin made, I had gaping at both the front and back necklines. To remedy this problem, I pinched the same amount on each side of the necklines and created a dart with pins that I would leave closed during the pattern drafting process.
For some reason I don’t have pictures of that final re-draft, but here’s a picture of the pattern pieces and the fabric I used for the final dress.
At this point, I got a bit forgetful and ceased taking pictures. I’m not sure what happened, but I’ll describe the rest of the process.
I serged the seam and stitched that bodice/lining seam to the lining. To finish the armholes I folded both the lining and the bodice armhole edges under and top-stitched very close to the edge of the armhole.
I then attached the bodice to a basic skirt, added the invisible zipper, and hemmed the dress.
The bright floral sundress below was the final result.
I didn’t have shoes that matched at the time I took these pictures. It gave me a reason to look for some white shoes. Coincidentally, I just found some cute white flats that were new with their original tags, at a thrift store in Idaho.