Retro Floral and Lace Swimsuit
I know it’s the end of summer, but I finally finished a new swimsuit a couple of weeks ago.
The material was a thrift store discovery last year. I brought it home for about $0.25 without knowing what I would use it for.
Then, when I pulled out some of my vintage swimsuit patterns in preparation for the summer, I saw this material and the pattern below next to each other.
I used this pattern as the basis for the top of the suit, but I altered it a bit.
I found the cups from an old bra in one of my old clothing piles, and thought it would make for a more supportive top if I used the under-wired cups for the swimsuit top. I restructured the top, so that it would work with the cups.
The bottoms are much more modern looking, but I wanted something that would be flattering on me. I made them using a self-drafted pattern.
I added lace to the edge of the suit in several places. I loved the look of the lace on the swimsuit in the pattern envelope illustration, and I’ve had a card of lace that was given to me some time ago that was patiently waiting for its opportunity to shine.
There are buttons for closure in the back, so I also attempted hand-stitched buttonholes for the first time (because my machine decided that it wanted to eat this material…even with interfacing…no matter what setting I tried. Gah!).
I have to say, hand-stitched buttonholes are a thing of beauty, and I’ll probably be incorporating them more into future projects.
I’m pleased with this swimsuit. Now that I’ve made a few suits over the past few years, I feel much more confident in my ability to create swimwear. I don’t think I’ll put myself through the torture of swimsuit shopping ever again.