Red Polka Dot Dress

I made this dress a while back, but somehow never got around to sharing it. I made it using a thrifted vintage dress, which I picked up for about $1.

What got my attention in the thrift store were the pintucks and the buttons on the bodice.

Another nice feature of the dress was the lightweight material (the down-side: it wrinkles quickly).

This turned out to be a fairly simple reconstruction project, with very few steps.

I removed the zipper and the collar,  removed the ties and mended some holes at the side seams, and re-shaped the neckline. I then shortened the dress, removed the sleeves, finished the armhole edges and neckline, and hemmed the bottom of the dress.

It may sound like a lot, but it was finished in about an hour.

The dress is extremely comfortable and perfect for summer. Since it is lightweight, I usually wear it with one of my vintage slips.

There was a large bug coming towards me

I left the dress pretty loose-fitting, with a babydoll style. It looks great paired with a belt, and it still has enough shape without the belt that it makes a cute housedress.

This entry was posted in Reconstructing & Thrifting and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Red Polka Dot Dress

  1. Rachel Laffoon says:

    Very cute!! Looks like something I would have worn at your age. GA

    • Becca says:

      Thanks! That’s so cool, to think that you would have worn something like this. 🙂 I guess I’m just following in your footsteps.

  2. So I have a question for you… things like reshaping a neckline seem like they would be easy, but do you have to worry about facing it at all? Or do you use bias tape? Whenever I have done a project it seems as though things like that hang me up more than anything else.

    • Becca says:

      It really depends on the dress style and material. Another factor when you’re reconstructing is how much material there is to work with. If there’s enough material for an appropriate facing, then it’s probably a good idea. I have used bias tape before, as well. In this case, I didn’t use either of those methods (mostly because I was in a hurry to finish this one). I simply measured and pressed the edge of the neckline under, and under again, just like I would do for the hem of a dress. Obviously, this doesn’t always work. It really just depends on the material, and the type of neckline. Often, if you don’t go the facing, or bias tape routes, you will end up with a neckline that flops out and looks bad. In this case, it worked out just fine. Thanks for your comment!

Leave a Reply