Purple Plaid Archer Button Up Shirt

img_5267

The fall(ish) weather means I can finally wear this shirt comfortably again. I say fall weather, but I use that term so loosely….It’s seriously still been fluctuating into the high 80s here! My Morning Glories literally just started blooming yesterday morning. Last year they were blooming at the beginning of September. :o)

Anyway, I made this shirt last fall, using some thrifted material that I found several years ago. The pattern is Grainline’s Archer.

img_5259

This shirt was a labor of love.

When I first sewed it up, I basically had to take the shirt apart and re-cut every piece, particularly in the armhole and shoulder area. I also had to take the side seams in a lot because the shirt ended up way too loose for my figure. I can handle a bit of a relaxed fit nowadays, but I looked like I was wearing a shirt meant for my husband (who is 6′ and wears a men’s L-XL) when i first finished this one.

I chose my size between my high and full bust measurement (size 4), knowing I would want it to be slightly more fitted at the top. Then, I went down to a 2 at the waist, and faded out into a size 12 at the hips (since my hips measure around 43″ and the finished garment hip measurement for size 12 is listed at 44″. I also shortened the shirt  and sleeves by 1″.

I figured I probably should have done an FBA before cutting into the fabric, but this was a muslin and I was feeling lazy. Surprisingly, it was still super loose and way too big in the armhole and shoulders (yes, that shoulder seam was sitting even further down my arm (>_<). I probably should size down significantly (my high bust measurement is in line with the 0) and do an FBA if I ever use this pattern again. I like the look of a slightly relaxed fit on the bottom of a shirt, but I can only do it if the top portion is fairly fitted.

img_5272

I didn’t like how the shirt looked on me with two pockets, so I made it with only one. I think next time I’ll make it with two smaller pockets.

If I make the shirt again, narrow back and swayback adjustments are certainly in order. Since this was more of a wearable muslin, I wasn’t too concerned about those adjustments when I made this shirt.

img_5269

I do think that I will make it again at some point in the future, since I’ve already done the work to know what adjustments need to be made to achieve a good fit.

img_5271

I took all the pictures from my recent blog posts on the same day back in July, so it was a bit of a marathon afternoon with the tripod. My husband was making faces at me near the end, and it became more and more difficult not to laugh and end up with super bizarre poses. ;P

img_5270

This entry was posted in blouse, clothing, fashion, General, sewing, Sewing & Crafting, shirt, thrifted and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Purple Plaid Archer Button Up Shirt

  1. I think this looks really cute, even if it was a lot of trouble. My TNT version of the Archer, is based on my high bust measurement with an FBA.
    If you are looking for a more fitted button down, you might like the Sewaholic Granville, or even the Itch to Stitch button ups. They both have a bit more shaping and a more feminine fit.

    • Becca says:

      Thank you, Heather! I do think it was worth it in the end, as I have gotten quite a bit of wear out of it, and it really is a nice pattern. I have actually tried the Sewaholic Oakridge (which is very similar in shape, just with a tie collar instead of a standard shirt collar like the Granville). Unfortunately, that one was almost more work to get it to fit for some reason. :O I actually had a lot of trouble with the shoulders and neckline being very oversized with that pattern, and had to take it in a lot on the sides. It never made it to the blog, but I do wear it. 🙂

Comments are closed.