I began this project with this lovely, paisley accordion pleat dress.
Sorry about the pic, I had to take it at night with horrible lighting.
The label was Promises Promises…
…which definitely brought to mind the song of that title by Naked Eyes, from the early 80s. I’ve provided this music video for your viewing pleasure.
I hope it gave you a good laugh. It’s pretty weird, but then what music video wasn’t? It makes me glad I was only alive through a small portion of the 80s. Though, the early 90s brought its own share of horror in the realms of fashion and music videos.
Anyway, back to the dress. I don’t think I could handle an entire outfit with this paisley print, so leaving it a dress was out of the question. I’ve been in need of some blouses, so I decided to go that route.
My first step was to cut the sleeves.
I also separated the bodice and skirt.
I wanted to make something similar to this blouse in the Burda magazine from 5/2010.
Since I liked where I was going with the sleeves, I kept the bodice intact, and simply added darts to the front, added a seam in the back and shaped the neckline to match the rest of the Burda pattern. I also didn’t have enough skirt material to cut out a new bodice.
I used the pattern pieces from the Burda magazine to create the peplum, plackets and collar.
For those who are unfamiliar with Burda magazine, each issue has pattern sheets in the center of the magazine. You have to find the correct pieces on the pattern sheets, trace them in your size and add seam allowances.
Anyway, before I could cut the rest of the blouse from the skirt, I had to iron out the pleats in the skirt.
It took a while, but I finally had succeeded in eradicating the pleats.
Once I cut the pieces out, I added interfacing to the plackets and collar.
I sewed the peplum together, and attached the peplum to the bodice.
I trimmed and pressed all of the seam allowances, so they were neater and wouldn’t be as noticeable from the outside.
The next step was hemming the peplum. I serged around the bottom first, and then turned the edge under and sewed as close to the edge of the upturned fabric as possible.
Next, I sewed the collar pieces together, turned them right side out and pressed the collar.
I attached the plackets with self-facing to the fronts of the blouse.
Then, I had to sew the back facing to the front facing, and sew the neck edge of the placket to the marked point where the collar would be inserted.
With the facing and the blouse right sides together, I inserted the collar between the blouse and the facing and pinned.
I sewed all the way around the collar facing and neckline and the collar and facing, pressed the seam allowances and sewed the allowances together.
I finished the bottoms of the plackets up, and tacked the facings to the shoulder seams.
To finish the sleeves, I serged around the edges, turned them up and hemmed them.
Finally, I made three buttonholes.
Then, I attached the white buttons that were originally at the shoulder of the dress.
I love my new top! It looks great paired with a pair of jeans and a cardi when it gets chilly. It’s unique, and I only paid $3.50 for the dress at the thrift store. Ya can’t beat that!
I know, I know, peplum isn’t the best thing for someone my shape…but I don’t care!
Pictures with a cardigan…
Sorry for all of the blurriness in the pictures. I didn’t realize so many of these came out so bad, and I am currently across the country visiting family.