Prancing on Powder Blue Mums

I know, I know, enough of the alliteration in my titles. I can’t figure out how I developed this temporary obsession with the letter “P”.

Anyhow, I’m just about finished with painting the subfloor in my sewing room. It’s unusual and exactly the type of look I was hoping for. The flowers are much brighter than they appear in the pictures.

I can feel my spirits lifting when I walk into this room. The process was long and arduous, but worth it.

 

So, here’s what the project entailed.

As you know, I had already painted the entire subfloor white.

For the next part of the project, I found some colored paint in the stack of paint that my in-laws weren’t using. The only can of colored paint was a sky blue, the rest of the paint cans held variants of white.

The color was OK with me, because I was determined to use free paint. Not to mention, I’ve always had an attraction to the color blue.

I created a stencil in Photoshop, and printed it on a thick, waterproof paper.

I didn’t have a particular flower in mind when I created the stencil, but it looks like some sort of cross between a mum and a dahlia.

Image sources: http://www.thelensflare.com/gallery/p_dahlia_14957.php, http://www.noded.com/noded/archives/002015.html

Once I printed the pattern out on my sheet of paper, I cut out the petals with a razor blade.

With the stencil ready for use, I experimented with different methods of stenciling. These trial-runs were conducted in one of the closets.

My first attempts were not successful. The paint repeatedly bled under the stencil, because I was using a brush that was too big.

I tried some other ways of stenciling, before going out to get a smaller brush. I traced along the inside of each petal with a pencil and a permanent marker, but I wasn’t happy with either of the flowers this method produced.

Above all, I wasn’t pleased with the amount of time that the outlining added to an already lengthy process.

Anyway, once I decided that I would use a smaller brush and paint each petal individually, I planned out a grid for the floor.

Since the room is twelve feet wide and twelve feet long (minus the dormer window tunnel), the math involved in creating the grid was simple. I made a smaller grid that I moved around the room.

I used string to create a grid of six feet long and three feet wide. Each square inside the grid was 18 inches by 18 inches.

When I finally started stenciling the floor, I had a smaller brush. So I was able to control how much paint went into each petal, and the flowers looked better.

I painted one flower in each square. For every flower, I positioned the stencil a different way. I also alternated the position of the flower within each square. The picture below shows the alternating pattern.

Between each use of the stencil, I removed excess paint with a rag.

Once I finished one grid, I laid out another grid with the same measurements. Then, I painted flowers in each square, the same way that I did in the first grid.

I repeated this process across the floor, one grid at a time.

I’m going to put some type of sealant on the floor, when I get the chance to pick some up at the store.

The blue mums have definitely livened up the space. Most importantly: I no longer feel like I work (or worse, reside) in an insane asylum.On the other side of the room, the floor is hidden by my rug, ironing board and work-in-progress-covered sewing table. So, I’ll have to get a picture of the entire mum-painted floor another time.

  1. Laura

    July 29, 2011 at 10:10 pm

    oh gosh, so very cute!!

  2. Cindy

    July 30, 2011 at 2:43 pm

    Ahhh this room is the bomb now, Becca! The mums on the floor are a great idea. I’m glad you overcame the stencil problem! 🙂

  3. Lauren

    August 1, 2011 at 11:26 am

    pretty! i love stencilled floors! can’t wait to see the entire room in all it’s glory 🙂

  4. Becca

    August 4, 2011 at 9:56 am

    Thanks, everyone!

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: