Plaid Shirt, Plaid Dress & a Pity Party
My, my, it has certainly been quiet around here for the past month or so. I’ve been fighting with chronic sinusitis for several months (since mid-July). It’s easy to take things like smell and taste for granted until both of those senses are removed from your life for months. It was especially difficult to get past the constant nagging fatigue and general feeling of being ill with no way to resolve it (Since it isn’t a bacterial infection, antibiotics are a waste of time and money, and you can only take Sudafed and other sinus meds for so long before they start doing more harm than good). Despite the post title and the tone of this paragraph, I’m not fishing for pity, just letting y’all know what’s been up in my corner of the world.
A couple of weeks ago I started having energy again, and we’ve made a lot of progress on our house renovation. We’ve picked up our pace on the renovation because we only plan on staying here in Southern Maryland until early next spring. Having deadlines to motivate us has been helpful. My momma and my youngest sister are coming for a visit in a week, and we’re having family and friends over for Thanksgiving. Luckily, we’ve had the help of my in-laws the past few weekends. I’ll tell you more about all of that in a renovation update soon.
Since my brain was a bit foggy for about a month and I’ve worked almost exclusively on house stuff the past couple of weeks, I haven’t made the progress I was hoping on pattern related tasks. Verity extended sizes are still on the way though, as well as a free pattern. Hopefully, I’ll have a sew-a-long for Verity soon. I guess I got a bit ahead of myself and with the changes to the renovation timeline, things are just moving a bit slower than I’d planned.
I did make some progress here and there with some sewing for the fall, as my fall & winter wardrobe is seriously lacking. That’s what today’s post is really about (I know, I know, I buried the lead). This top and dress were made using an altered version of the same pattern as the dress in my last post.
Since I was testing my different versions of this pattern, I used thrift store materials with limited yardage. That’s why the plaids of the skirt aren’t ideally matched at the sides or the bodice/skirt seam. The horizontal plaid lines on the front of the skirt are not, however, crooked as the picture below would suggest. I guess one side of the waist seam got caught up under the belt. My biggest concern was that the plaids on the bodice matched on each side, especially along the darts. Nobody likes crooked boobs. ;-D
The dress fabric seems to be a rayon blend of some sort, and the shirt fabric is cotton.
This dress version of the pattern has an extended placket. It’s more fitted at the waist and omits the elastic of the first version.
My side bodice darts are a little wonky. I’ve adjusted them down now on the pattern, so they actually point toward the apex of the bust. As you can see, the front bust darts also needed to be adjusted for future versions because they end about an inch too high.
The dress was made after some adjustments to the armscye of the pattern, but the fabric that I used stretched out. 🙁 The sleeves are really way too loose for my liking, so I’ll probably take those in.
I tried to put snaps on the dress too, but the snaps weren’t having it. Apparently my placket was too thick. Needless to say, I was VERY upset when I had some holes to fix after my attempt at snaps. I definitely threw a tantrum: stomping, and fist shaking, and all.
I’ve got a couple of variations of the Verity pattern coming up soon. One version has a peter pan collar. I’ll also have some tips about adjusting the split collar depending on the fabric you use (the body and stretch of a fabric really affects the look of the split collar).
I promise, I will take pictures of my lacy top and the skirt I reconstructed to go with it. I also have one more top and an orange corduroy skirt to show you.