More Progress on the House (June 12-14)

Sunday through Tuesday, we made some more progress on the house.

I removed the carpet from the stairs and the second level. I had the most difficulty with the carpeting on the bottom half of the stairs.

I also removed the rest of the tack strips downstairs and the ones from the stairs.

This is what I dealt with on most of the stair edges. There are about twenty stapes in about a square inch. I guess they thought, "one can never use too many staples"...


By the end of the two days of removing carpet, I could barely move my hands because my forearms were so sore.

The pile of carpet and tack strips just kept growing.

Here are some pictures of the stairs and upper level, after the carpet was removed.

As I was taking the carpet out upstairs, I found proof that the “discussion room” was illustrated by one of the kids who used to live in the house.

This was on the inside of the door, and I hadn’t noticed it until now. I guess they were angry that they had to move.

The next day, I tossed all the carpet and tack strips off of the back deck and into the junk pile. For some reason, I enjoyed this task the most. Getting the carpet out of the house, and gutting the basement, has rid the house of the yucky smell it once had.

My mother-in-law, Laura, did some more yard work on Sunday. She cut back the large apple tree that was growing parallel to the ground and toward the house.  She also cut the tree that was growing up toward the kitchen window, and cleaned up the area along the left side of the house.

We will be removing those two trees soon. It is sad to remove the apple tree, but it can’t stay. We do have another apple tree on that side, further from the house.

My husband, Alex, and father-in-law, Wayne, ripped out the rest of the basement, and I mean ALL of it. There was mold throughout the basement, and we wanted to start over with the basement anyway.

This is what it looked like on Sunday.

This is what it looked like Monday evening, once everything was removed.

I’ll post a picture tomorrow of what the junk piles look like after the past few days.

We’ll be getting someone out to haul it all away within a day or two.


On Sunday, we brought Wayne’s riding lawn mower, and he cut the prairie in the backyard.

Monday, I removed all of those silly plastic shades and all the dirty curtains and tossed them into the junk pile. I cleaned some of the windows.

The kitchen window before it was cleaned

Each window is actually a set of two windows, because there are storm windows on the outside. So, there is a build-up of bugs, dirt and cobwebs between the sets of windows. They also just need a good scrubbing, all over. They are difficult to clean well, because it’s hard to get all the areas on the inside of the windows. I can’t wait until we can replace all of them. I have to keep telling myself, “one step at a time.”

As I was cleaning the kitchen window, I started cleaning the tops of the kitchen cabinets. There was so much dirt!

That dust was stuck on the top of all of the cabinets, and had to be scrubbed off.
I removed that vinyl strip that was stapled to the top of the cabinets.


Tuesday, I cleaned the master bathroom and sink area. I scrubbed every inch of it with a multi-surface cleaner with bleach, including all the walls. After that, I helped Laura finish up with cleaning the kitchen. It is now clean to the point where it is usable. We just need to get a temporary little range for the kitchen.

Building the new kitchen will be our first major project. So, we will only use this kitchen for a short while.

I also cleaned the master bedroom windows, started cleaning the living room windows, and soaked them down with bug spray. Laura worked on the thrilling task of getting the wallpaper off in the master bedroom.


Within the next few days, I will give an overview of our remodel plans. We will be working on the house while living in it. So, we won’t have flooring in places for a time, and we will have a constant work zone in the house. For my sanity, we may at least paint the sub-floor, and we will put a carpet or an area rug in our room. 🙂

  1. Laura Burt

    June 16, 2011 at 11:30 pm

    Hey, where’s the cabinet picture of Newton???

    1. Becca

      June 20, 2011 at 5:57 pm

      It came out really blurry. 🙁 I’m adding some other pictures of him to the next post though.

  2. Cindy

    June 17, 2011 at 10:58 pm

    Gosh, kudos, kudos on making so much progress! I love seeing what you’ve been doing with the house. And poor kids! I hated the idea of moving as a kid. Hopefully you can clear out the mold and your family effort will make the house shine!

    It’s getting there! 🙂

    1. Becca

      June 20, 2011 at 6:00 pm

      Thanks! Yes, lots and lots to do. We have pretty big renovation plans too. So, we have quite a bit of work ahead, but it will be fun. We don’t have any kids yet, but we do plan to have kids. 🙂

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: