Mini Mushrooms Make Me Merry Dress
I know, I know, the title. I just couldn’t help myself with the alliteration. Besides, it’s a totally true title. Oops! There I go again.
I realize the title of this post could give some people the wrong idea. Don’t worry, I’m not on shrooms. The mushrooms on this dress do make me pretty happy though.
Side Note: sorry the pictures are so massive. It was either this or pictures that barely showed the print. I couldn’t find a happy medium. I guess I really need to set aside some time to revamp the blog.
I found this material last year at a thrift store. I believe I purchased it for about $0.50. It was in excellent condition, with no stains or smells. After a good washing and pressing it was reinvigorated.
It appears to have been cut away from a longer curtain of some sort. The top was clearly cut by pinking shears. It had a hem on the bottom with weights at the corners, and each edge was finished. I had to take apart the hem and sides to get some extra inches of width and length.
I was a bit disappointed that I couldn’t match up the mushrooms in a chevron in the front and back of the skirt, but I just didn’t have enough material. I squeezed this dress out of less than three yards of 33″ wide material. Plus, the material was seamed in the middle and the rows on the two pieces didn’t match up.
I used the same pattern that I used to make this dress for the raffle last year, with some tweaks.
Here are the pattern changes I made:
-changed the vertical bodice darts to tucks
-altered the bodice to eliminate the need for elastic at the top (It was still a bit too loose, so I ended up having to take it apart and take it in at the top under the arms. That’s why it might look a bit odd, and the straps ended up in a weird place.)
-opted not to crisscross the straps in the back this time
-shortened the skirt length (mostly because I squeezed it out of such a limited amount of material)
Trial and error is part of the patternmaking process. Now I know that there are more changes that I need to make to the pattern: tuck out some of the excess material at the top front around the strap area, move the horizontal bodice darts down a smidge, make the waist a bit more snug.
I’m kind of bummed that I didn’t have enough material to make a matching belt. However, I love mixing and matching colored belts with my outfits, so I’m not heartbroken.
Those are really all the deets. So here are some more pictures of the dress.
Pretending that it’s spring is all I can do to keep myself sane. Winter has held on with all of its gloom and none of its charm. I’ve grown weary of being cold all the time. I know I should stop complaining and enjoy this weather while we have it, but…I…don’t…wanna! Please don’t judge me, and yes, I would like some cheese with my w(h)ine.
Just look what I woke up to this morning.
I’m usually a fan of winter and snow, but this year, I am SO over it! Hopefully, by the end of this week, spring will start to make an appearance.
Fellow sewing bloggers, I am working on catching up with many of your posts since I was MIA for a while. I didn’t forget about you. 🙂
If you’re reading this and you have a blog, please be sure to comment so that I can find your blog.