Mary Jane’s Last Dance Dress
As promised, here’s what I did with the bodice of the dress pictured below.
Along with what was left of the bodice, I used some recycled materials. The pink fabric is material left from another reconstruction. The recycled black butterfly nightgown pictured below was given to me from my grandmother–I believe she got it from her sister–for me to use as material (thanks!).
First, I cut off the bottom of the knit butterfly shirt to use as the skirt for the new dress.
I wanted the skirt to be somewhat form-fitting. So, I measured and cut the skirt shape out of the bottom of the nightgown, and sewed up the seams.
Once a strip of the pink tube was cut and ready, I sewed the bodice around the top of the strip, and the skirt to the bottom. To ensure durability, I serged all of the seams and hemmed the bottom of the dress.
Finally, I finished the edges of armholes.
My husband and I were listening to Tom Petty this morning, while I was creating this dress. So, I titled it, “Mary Jane’s Last Dress”. 😉
Later today, I’ll post a sneak peek into the some upcoming reconstruction projects. 🙂