Mad Men Sewing Challenge Dress Complete…Barely
I finished my dress for the Mad Men Sewing Challenge, just in time. Phew! I was so glad to have an extension.
I aimed to have this dress done on Friday (the original deadline), but I’ve been distracted since Thursday. We’re redoing our whole yard. We’ve pulled out concrete, filled the pool in, re-graded the yard, cleared, pruned, tilled, etc. I’ve had to dig up and temporarily pot a lot of plants to replant when we’re finished. Needless to say, I’m amazed that I managed to squeeze this dress in by the extended deadline.
Anyway, as you may recall for my planning post, this was my inspiration dress.
I added buttons on the front bodice, changed the neckline and drafted a collar to go with the neckline. Then, I drafted new facing pieces for the front and back. The collar pieces, facings, and front edges of the bodice are interfaced.
The dress was almost free to make, since the teal material was given to me by my grandmother a couple of years ago. This was the only teal material I had, and I only had about a yard and half. Therefore, I didn’t have enough of the teal material for both collar pieces, so the underside of the collar is made from the scarf material (which I actually think is kinda fun).
I really wanted to use a stretch poplin for this dress, but I couldn’t find any or have any shipped quickly enough. Unfortunately, the material that I used for this dress doesn’t have the stretch I would’ve liked. For a closer fit, I lengthened the darts on the front and back of the skirt. I also had to take the darts in a bit more at the waist.
I sewed an invisible zipper to the left side seam for closure. If only I’d left myself more time, then I could have hand sewn the hem and sleeve hems.
The buttons are covered with the teal material, and the scarf is just a small folded rectangle with a pin on the back. Since the scarf is detachable, I can change up the look of the dress when I want. I really like the way the dress looks with a white belt and white shoes. There are a lot of belt and shoe combinations that will look cute with this dress. I can’t wait to mix and match, depending on my mood. 🙂
I recently acquired a buttonhole cutter, and I am in love! It makes the buttonholes so precise and clean. I could never go back to using a seam ripper.
Well, those are all the details I can think of, at the moment. So, I’ll show you some more pictures of the dress. I apologize that some of these are blurry. I had a really hard time finding a place with enough light for pictures (serves me right for waiting until the last minute to finish the dress and take photos). Our yard is a muddy mess, so I wasn’t about to tromp through it to take photos.
As you can see, my mother-in-law and I took down some more walls upstairs this weekend. Now, Alex and I can work on rebuilding the upstairs.
But first, it’s time to clean up a bit. 🙂
I’m enjoying seeing other bloggers’ outfits, and I can’t wait to see Julia Bobbin‘s wrap-up.