Pots Made from Lampshades and Tea Plates
When I was walking around the thrift store a couple of weeks ago, I came up with an idea for inexpensive, decorative pots.
Every thrift store has unique little tea plates that are missing their tea cups, or just charming, ornamental plates.
I figured it would be easy to paint the glass. I thought about painting each lampshade a different color. However, I decided to let the individuality of each plate speak for itself, and paint the pots all the same color. This also provides some semblance of unity.
I got a “whitish” spray paint—suitable for many surfaces—and sprayed a few coats on each side of the lampshades.
I saw this beautiful, blue and black butterfly.
Several long-legged spiders lumbered by. One of them settled in a corner of the box that I was using to spray paint my pots. I suppose, he thought that a change of color would make him stand out to the ladies.
Of course, the ever-friendly wasps also made their presence known. I refused to be intimidated by them; I stood my ground.
Hurried along by this steady stream of bugs, I promptly finished painting the pots.
When I set the pots on the plates, they were top-heavy. I solved this problem by gluing them down in a few spots. I used a couple small drops of Gorilla glue on opposite sides of the bottom rim of the shades (Gorilla glue expands a lot. So if you ever use it, do so conservatively).
There are a few other plants that I’m going to experiment with growing both indoors and outdoors.
In one pot, I added a peat moss/potting soil mixture and some basil seeds that I’ve had for a little while.
The last pot holds some zinnia seeds. I don’t know where these seeds came from, but I found them in one of our boxes of kitchen stuff. I read that people in this USDA Plant Hardiness Zone (7a) have had success growing them from seed to bloom, even in the middle of summer. So, I thought I’d give it a try.
I planted the seeds last Friday. The basil and zinnia had already sprouted by Monday.
I’ve had these seeds for some time, and I was unsure whether they would still be viable. So, I put extra seeds into each pot, just in case some of them didn’t sprout. That was a mistake. Now I have too many seedlings, and I’ve had to thin them out.
I researched transplanting zinnia seedlings, and was discouraged to read that they often resent transplant. However—in my limited experience—if you’re gentle and careful when removing and re-potting them, they’ll be fine. Just make sure that their roots are comfortable and that they have moist, well-drained soil. I moved some of the seedlings into my other pots, and they seem to be content.
It has only been about a week, and the seedlings have grown more than an inch. So, here’s a tip: Zinnia is an excellent plant to grow from seed if you like to see immediate results.
The asparagus fern won’t sprout for many weeks. So, that should provide a lesson in patience.