Make ‘Em Green With Envy Jacket
My second reconstruction project for the “Remake Challenge,” started as the dress below.
I wanted to turn it into a short-sleeved jacket.
The first step was taking it completely apart.
I planned to use a portion of the skirt to make the bottom of the jacket.
The back of the skirt would become the front of the jacket; therefore I needed to cut down the front of the bodice.
I measured and cut the bottom front of the jacket (which was the back of the skirt, where the zipper was), so that the side seams of the top and bottom half would match, once darts were added.
I measured and pinned darts (essentially new seams) for the bottom front and back of the coat, and attached a strip to the back of the bodice where the zipper once was (in order to add extra room to the jacket). Wow, way too many parenthesis going on in this post. 😛
My plan was to add a button placket all of the way down the front.
I also cut the sleeves shorter. They were uneven because of their previous lives as bubble-puff sleeves.
I measured and cut the strips for the button placket from the remaining portion of the skirt, and cut some interfacing as well.
I laid the pieces together,
And pinned them one by one,
Unaware of the pending quandary
For which nothing could be done.
I discovered there was trouble:
A problem I didn’t catch.
Green thread everywhere,
But not a green would match.
On my hands and knees I searched
Through every inch of my stash
Finding every shade of green,
Finding every shade would clash.
OK, enough with the goofy poem. It wasn’t that dramatic, but I was frustrated because I would need to do some top-stitching on the jacket. I just settled for the closest shade, and went for it.
After sewing and pressing the darts, and attaching the strip to the back of the bodice, I pinned the top and bottom pieces of the jacket together. I would re-sew the side seams after attaching these pieces.
I sewed the side seams and ironed all of the seams open, creating crisp, clean lines.
Before I could attach the rest of the jacket, I had to re-sew the lining to match. It was extremely wrinkly, so I had to iron it for about ten minutes before I could do anything. However, once it was ironed I was able to cut into it, and create a lining similar to the shape of my jacket.
I attached the placket for the button holes on the right side, and the one for the buttons on the left, making sure the edge of the lining was also encased along the seam.
I had a ridiculous amount of trouble with the buttonholes, so I had to tweak my plans again. I decided to add just three buttonholes, and attach three buttons on one placket, and three on the other, like so…
The next step was to finish the neckline. I made a little inverted pleat at the back of the jacket, and sewed around the neckline. I then added a bit of trim from the original button placket on the dress.
I finished the sleeves, and finally, sewed the new hemline.
So, here’s the dress-turned-jacket.
Though I would’ve made it long sleeves if I’d had more skirt to work with, I really like the look of it. It’s a good jacket for fall here in the desert, because I can wear long sleeves underneath on days that are cooler, but still feel comfortable wearing it on days that are slightly warmer.
It is also loose enough that if I wanted to I could wear bulky sweaters under it.
And, since it’s been a while, here’s a picture with Newton in it. 😉
While I won’t be able to get anything else done for the contest, I am continuing with the reconstruction of the items from my closet. So, here’s a glimpse at the progress of the next reconstruction project…
It was a jacket before my seam ripper dug into it.