Linen n’ Lace Top & the Great Maxi Mistake

This is the last of the summer sewing catch-up posts (I’ll save any others for next year).

Linen n’ Lace Top

The shirt is a reconstruction of sorts.


When my grandparents came to visit this summer, they brought some fabrics and vintage garments from my grandma’s sister, Anne (Thanks Auntie Anne!). I found the material below in the box of fabrics. It was cut out for a loose blouse, with no pattern instructions. I thought the lightweight material would be ideal for a summer tank, and I’d use the sleeves and the bit of leftover material for another top, at some point.

The pattern was still pinned to the fabric.

Since the material was already cut out, there was only so much I could do. So, I experimented with some darts here and there.


I also added some lace, which was gifted to me by a friend (thanks, Jan!), around the armholes.

It was a wide lace, which I folded in and under with the armhole seam. I then folded it out to create a “cuff” and hand sewed the cuff down around the armhole.

To give the shirt a little more shape, I made ties to sew in to the back darts.

There are darts at the back neckline and two darts that run about 3/4 of the way up the back
Not bad for an experiment

Semi-Sheer Floral Maxi

I wanted to make a maxi dress this past summer. Technically, at my height, I shouldn’t wear maxi length dresses, but I was feeling rebellious.

Here’s the fabric that caught my eye. I’ve had this fabric for years.
The long pattern pieces from a Vintage pattern

The material was so delicate. I had to add some interfacing at the seams to prevent holes from forming when the material was stitched with even the smallest needle size. Luckily, you can’t see the interfacing on the outside of the dress.

The skirt is interfaced at the sides, and ready to be stitched.

The front plunged really low, and hung loosely. You can’t tell in the photo below because I have it pulled up so high to avoid disaster. So, I had to add an insert at the front for modesty. I also added straps that run from the halter strap to the sides of the bodice in the back.


No matter what though, this dress was a real flop. I realized the HORRIFIC fabric placement that I’d managed. As you no doubt spotted immediately, the center of the flower on the left bodice front is in the worst possible place. Ha! I’ll just take it as a sign that I had no business making a maxi dresses.


Anyway, onward I go into the fall and winter sewing season! Hopefully I’ll have the focus not to make stupid mistakes.

Have you had any “uh-oh” moments when it comes to fabric placement? It would make me feel better to hear that I’m not the only one who commits such blunders.

  1. Trudy Callan

    October 5, 2012 at 5:21 pm

    The top is adorable. I love love your hair long. It’s so pretty.

    1. Becca

      October 11, 2012 at 9:40 am

      Thanks so much! Once my hair started getting longer, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that my hair suddenly decided to be wavy. 🙂

  2. Janice

    October 8, 2012 at 12:58 pm

    Ha!! Well, guess you could make a skirt and scarf with it! LOL!! Hate that!

    1. Becca

      October 11, 2012 at 9:42 am

      Yeah, that’s true. I will probably make a skirt eventually. I hate it too, but it happens.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: