Last Minute “Sew for Victory” Dress
I learned about the Sew for Victory ’40s Sewalong challenge really late in the game (this past Sunday), but I decided that I really wanted to try to complete a project for it.
I’m keeping this post really brief in order to meet the deadline, but I may add a separate post in the next few days with more details about the alterations I made to the pattern.
Anyway, here’s the dress.
This dress took a LONG time because I had to do a lot of hand-stitching. The covered buttons and belt added a significant amount of time to the project as well, but I would say it was time well spent. Since I had no time to spare, I opted not to do the bound buttonholes.
My pattern of choice was Simplicity 4036, pictured below.
I spent quite a bit of time on pattern alterations because this pattern was a couple of sizes bigger than I usually use. I’m happy with the fit, but I should have made the bodice just the teeniest bit longer. I do have a very high waist, but the waist on this dress is just a smidge too high.
For this project, I dug out a vintage light blue Chambray from my fabric stash. I bought it at one of my favorite thrift stores in the area last year for about $2. For the buttons and belt, I used some material left over from the blouse that I used to make my reconstructed outfit for the 4th of July last year (see this post).
The print on the material is little red cherries with navy and light blue stems.
The dress has a patriotic feel to it. Now I have a dress I can wear for the 4th of July, if I’m so inclined.
Happy Easter, everyone! We had a wonderful day of celebration with friends and family. I hope you had a blessed day.