I meant to post my plan a couple of weeks ago, but there have been several other things vying for my time. Boy, am I glad that I have until the end of this month for this challenge. I’m almost finished sewing the dress, but I plan to add beading, too. :O
Anyway, I have several pictures of my great-grandmother that were sent to me by my grandmother’s sister. I wanted to share some of them with you–even if they don’t directly relate to the dress–simply because I think old photos are cool. 🙂
Here’s an interesting side note: my great-grandmother was VERY tiny. Apparently, she only weighed 98 lbs when she got married in 1931, and she had a 19″ waist! :-0 She was also pretty short (5’2″ or 5’3″). At least I know where I got my small stature from. Everyone else in my family is pretty tall. All of my sisters are about 5’5″ or taller, and I barely tip over 5′. Ha!
The picture below is of my great-grandparents and seven of their children. They had ten children! My grandmother is the shy cutie on the left.
This picture is awesome! Am I right?! It looks like she’s playing a ukulele and wearing a nautically themed outfit.
OK, let’s move on to how I planned out my dress. I thought long and hard about a way to make a look that would be ’20s inspired but still flattering on me. As I’m sure you’ve noticed, I have large hips and an ample butt, so I like to accentuate my waist most of the time.
I looked through a lot of photos of ’20s and ’20s inspired garments, and to my delight, I found some looks that weren’t super loose on top, but they still had a ’20s feel.
I liked some aspects of the dress shape on the pattern envelope below, so I decided to use it as a general guideline for my design.
The picture below of my great-grandmother was also part of my inspiration, I really like the sweet scallop hem of her dress. This picture was taken in the early ’20s.
The dress below is the inspiration behind the hemline that I decided on. I like the look of the large scallops. I’m even going to add some decorative beading above the hemline.
I especially like the little hat that she’s wearing in the first picture in this post and again in the picture below. So, I really want to make a turban-like cloche hat to match my dress. I may end up having to settle for a headband.
Here’s the extremely rough planning sketch I did before starting on my pattern.
I drafted a pattern and sewed a muslin.
I had to change several things about my original pattern, but that’s what muslins are for.
I’m almost finished sewing my dress. I used a silk crepe material, pictured below, which I bought at G street almost two years ago. It was in a small clearance bin for silks. It’s some sort of silk blend because it has some stretch. There was about 2 yards of material.
I just love all the beading that I saw on a lot of the inspiration photos I looked through, and I’m excited to try my hand at beading. We’ll see how it goes. I’ll probably start on that this evening.
I’ve got several new makes to share, but I’m waiting for the clouds and wind to go away so I can take some nice photos.