We continue to make progress on the house. This is an update about what we did from June 16-19.
We tore out the rest of the floor in the main level. Well, my husband did the majority of that, but I helped with some of it. We needed to take all that old flooring out in order to start on the new kitchen.
We discovered that there were five layers above the subfloor: the checked laminate, a layer of wood underneath that checked laminate, a layer of rust colored hexagonal laminate, a layer of avocado green (probably the original flooring), and another layer of wood above the subfloor.
As you can see from the picture below, Alex also took the living room wall down to the studs. We will soon be taking that wall down completely, to open up the main living area. It is a load bearing wall, and Alex has calculated the size of beams we will need to span from the front and back of the house to a column in the middle. I’ll give the total renovation plan tomorrow, with images of the ultimate floor plan.
After the kitchen was stripped down to the subfloor, we had to pull out hundreds of staples. It took the better part of an evening. I got blisters on my hand from the using the pliers for so long.
We still need to get up to the dormers to clean the siding and get the window boxes down. The gutters need to be scrubbed down as well.
I cleaned some more windows, and started cleaning walls and ceiling in some areas.
I cleaned inside of this duct and the wall around the vent, and that has already made more of the smell in the house dissipate.
It isn’t just dirt on everything. I think that an indoor smoker must have lived in this house before, because there is a yellowish color to all the walls and ceiling.
We also loaded some of the junk pile and took it to the landfill.
I made a video tour of the house on Saturday. Unfortunately, I have to wait for a new cable for the camera before I can load it to my computer and post it on here. So, be on the lookout for that, at some point this week.
I’ll have a post up tomorrow about another dress that I made recently.