“Going to California” Dress
Finally, I’ve completed my first, “official” summer dress of the year.
I’m going to California to visit family and friends in a week, and I wanted to have a “summer worthy” dress.
Instead of going through the step-by-step process for this project, I thought I’d change it up. I’m going to tell you a few quick things about the project: the pattern, the highlights (the most challenging aspect, my favorite part, etc.), and the total time spent.
I used a pattern from Burda magazine 7/2010 to make this dress. Using a Burda magazine pattern always takes longer, because I have to trace the pattern and adjust it (In the highly unlikely chance that you haven’t noticed, I have large hips).
Originally, I was going to use one color for the whole dress, but I didn’t have enough of the aqua knit. So, I went through almost every color combination imaginable, and after hours of agonizing over my decision, I settled on a grey knit for the straps.
I’m never going back.
The seams that I sewed with the tricot stitch are beautiful; they’re strong, but at the same time, they have just the right amount of stretch.
From pattern tracing to completion of the dress, I probably spent about six hours. That’s not bad, because I really took my time with every step. The most time-consuming steps when working with a Burda magazine pattern: tracing the pattern and deciphering the instructions.
To make the flowers, I gathered long strips of aqua material, twisted them around into the flower shape and stitched buttons in the centers.
I’m in the process of making a little matching flower pin that I can put in my hair on the left side.
After all, then I’ll really be raking in the Zeppelin allusions. 😉
I’ll leave you with a line from “Going to California” that encapsulates the way I feel lately:
Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams/Telling myself it’s not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.