Floral blouse with yoke and piping
I present to you, the first article of clothing I’ve made for myself this year.
I decided to force myself to start working on some of the UFO’s that I have lying around. This project was in the UFO pile since August. I cut it out and sewed two of the darts while I was visiting my family in California last summer. I don’t remember why it ended up in the UFO pile. I must’ve forgotten about it.
I made lots of tweaks to the pattern to achieve a different fit. I changed all the tucks (to make the finished waist measurement smaller and the finished hip measurement bigger), and took it in almost an inch on each side from the bust to the waist. But I was overzealous with my attempts to make the blouse more fitted, and ended up with a blouse that barely buttons and squishes my bust (You can see the pulling on either side in the photos). But after I took these pictures I let it out about 1/4 inch from the waist up at each side seam and that seems to have fixed the fit.
They originally stopped at the waist, but that left a huge pooch in the back of the shirt. So I sewed the tucks further up. As you can see from in the picture below, the longer tucks were the perfect remedy for the billowy business in the back.
I made bound buttonholes, and they are arguably the worst I’ve ever made in my sewing career. I was just too impatient. I guess I haven’t screwed up enough projects to learn the “haste makes waste” lesson. Luckily, the buttonholes aren’t that noticeable.