First pair of Thurlow trousers in pinstripes
I finished this pair of Thurlows a couple of weeks ago, but I was too busy sewing and then, enjoying Thanksgiving to take pictures and get a post up. As you can see in the picture below, I was totally enthused to take a break from sewing to take pictures. Ha!
This is the first pair that I’ve made, and although I made two muslins, I still need to make more adjustments.
I like my pants a bit shorter so I can wear flats with them, but I will make these a little longer next time. They’re pictured here with high-heeled booties. I also changed the shape of the pant legs, so they wouldn’t be quite so wide, and some weird things happened with the stripes at the knees. Oh well.
There is still too much volume in the front fly area. When I walk around there’s an unattractive bagginess going on. I’ll need to pinch some more of that out of the pattern for future versions.
The back is not a shining example of the best possible fit, but it’s really not bad. Some of the wrinkles in the back are due to the fact that I’m wearing tights under the pants.
With a rear like mine, it’s difficult to keep the pants from having some sort of cupping action without making the pants baggy. However, this is definitely the best fit I’ve ever had in the rear section, so we’ll call it a success.
The picture below explains why I have such a hard time finding pants that fit. Just take a gander at the shape of the back extension (And I’ll actually have to take the waist in just a bit more on the next pair!). I’m basically the poster child of “pear-shapedom.”
The insides of the pants are my favorite part. The lining is a little brighter than the picture shows. I absolutely love garments that are pretty on the inside, too.
I’m just glad that I finally made a pair of pants. I know I’m a bit late to the party, but thank you, Lauren, for doing a Thurlow Sew-Along.
I’m working on finishing my trousers made from a reverse-engineered pattern. I also have a lot of other fun things to share with you in the coming weeks, including at least one tutorial. 🙂