Dotty Flared Wrap Skirt
Boy, do I have some finished project posts to catch up on. We’ll start with this fun knit wrap skirt.
Yep, I made a wrap skirt…with huge dots on it…and I LOVE it! I’m sure some of you will think both me and the skirt are dotty, and you’d be right! I’m a crazier person than some people believe. I just do a good job of hiding it most of the time.
Now that I’m looking at these pictures it almost looks like something Ms. Frizzle would wear. Haha! Frankly, that realization changes nothing; if anything, it adds more appeal to the skirt. 😉 Side Question: What type of Magic School Bus adventure/occasion would Mrs. Frizzle wear giant polka dots for?
Anyway, some days I like to wear things that are a bit out of my comfort zone, and this certainly fits that description.
I used a knit fabric that I found at a thrift store for less than $1 a while back. There was some serious yardage of this stuff. I’ve barely made a dent in it, and I made a flared wrap skirt. Whoa!
To make it a flared skirt, I slashed and spread in two places on the skirt pieces. Since the skirt pattern was already A-line, I thought it would be overkill to slash and spread along more than two lines. It’s always best to slash and spread along at least two lines to ensure better distribution of the flare, but the amount of lines you slash and spread really depends on the pattern you start with and the amount of flare you want to add.
I marked lines beginning an equal distance from the center of the waist of the pattern pieces. I made sure the lines met the hemline in places equally spaced apart along the hemline. I cut from the hemline up the line as close to the waistline as possible without cutting the pattern piece apart.
Then, I pinned the center front in place and spread the pieces apart until I achieved the flare that I was looking for. If you want to add flare to a skirt, this is the way to do it. NEVER just add to the sides of the pattern pieces. You’ll end up with a skirt that doesn’t hang right. You want the skirt flare to be distributed evenly all the way around the hemline. Plus the waist needs to have a curve that echoes the hemline.
I traced around the pattern once I had it spread to achieve the flare I was looking for.
I gave the back piece the same flare and shape as the front piece (slashed and spread the same amount).
This is important because otherwise I would’ve end up with a different hem front to back. I lined the new front and back skirt pieces together along the sides seams to check that the hemlines met each other evenly. I also added the new grainline to my new flared skirt pattern. To do this, I lined up the old pattern piece on the new pattern piece and lined the side seam section with the center piece, aligning the grainline.
I also added some inseam pockets, because some days I just want to wear something with pockets. I don’t always like inseam pockets because they tend to add bulk to my hips, but I felt like this skirt really needed them, for some reason.
I drafted a pocket bag and marked the placement on the side seam of the skirt pieces. Basically, I just used the notch that was already at the side seam of the original pattern as the marking for the top of the pocket.
Adding the pocket was simple, but I neglected to take pictures of it. :/ If anyone is interested, I’ll happily figure out a way to squeeze a tutorial in at some point.
So, it was like 90 degrees and beyond humid when I took the photos with this long sleeved shirt on (View C of the Verity pattern). You can probably tell from the horrendous wrinkle situation going down with those sleeves. They were sticking to me like a glue trap. Eeewww! I think I really was melting. The things I do for the sake of the ol’ blog. 😉