DIY shelving units
I’ve been doing a lot of thrift store/flea market/Craigslist hunting for a nice large cabinet to organize my sewing stuff, but I’ve come up empty for months. When I could no longer function in my sewing room because it was such a mess, I decided to build my own basic shelving units.
I figured out the measurements for the shelving unit components and how much plywood I’d need, and Alex and I went on a trip to Lowe’s.
We have a table saw, so we cut the plywood to the proper measurements at home.
Despite what it looks like, I did actually help cut the wood. It would have been impossible for Alex to do it on his own. We don’t have a table extension and the sheets of plywood were large and heavy.
We screwed and nailed everything together and added the trim pieces and backer.
Then, I filled the holes and sanded everything down.
Next, I applied white paint.
Three coats seemed to be the magic number. These pictures were taken when there were only two coats of paint on the unit.
Here is my new fabric closet, with a lovely white shelving unit.
I work so much better when I can see everything organized in one place.
It may still seem unorganized to some, but I assure you there is a method to the way all of those fabrics are sorted.
I’m working on a second unit for the other closet (I’ll use it to store things slated for reconstruction and various notions), and I’ll probably make a third to put in the little cubby room by the dormer (to store any stock for my shop)
My next project for beautifying my sewing room will be covering the closet doors. Two of them have huge, unsightly holes in them, so painting won’t really solve the problem. Besides it’ll be a great way to liven up the room a bit more, and give me a backdrop to use occasionally for pictures.