Cotton Candy Dress
The 70s are back. This time almost every fashion trend of the time is incarnate in one dress. OK, not quite, but it’s a doozy.
Everything about this dress alludes to the 70s: the Grecian-style, the crinkly, accordion pleats, the overdone lace, the large, billowy sleeves, even the rosy pink color. While I am a fan of some things birthed in the ‘70s (Mostly music—judge if you will, but I love my Classic Rock), this dress is just too overkill for me.
Sans the lace and pink color, this dress would be reminiscent of Carrie Fisher’s Princess Leah costume in Star Wars.
All I need is one of these Princess Leia Wig Hats—perfect for the upcoming fall. 😉
The color and the small crinkled pleats of today’s dress, remind me of the dress pictured below. I found it at an antique store; it’s currently in my Etsy shop.
The difference between the two dresses is that the one pictured above doesn’t need alteration to be worn in a modern context, whereas the lacy, crinkly dress indisputably does. Plus, the lacy dress is pretty large.
Since, I’m not getting ready for an action adventure in space anytime soon (or planning on becoming Lucas’ idea of a space princess), some changes are in order.
To begin Operation MyLook, I cut off those sleeves.
Before taking apart the skirt and bodice, I basted around the top of the skirt in order to ensure that the pleats would stay in place.
Then, I separated the skirt and the bodice.
I envisioned two garments resulting from this dress.
First, with the help of some fabric scraps I found at the thrift store, I would create a dress.
I removed the lace from both of the sleeves.
These would become the front and back of the bodice, which I lined with the blue fabric. I liked the idea of giving the lace more character, by putting a different color behind it.
In order to hide the ends of the straps on the inside of the lining, it was necessary to cut two sets of each piece of the blue lining. A zipper would ensure the best fit. So, I measured and cut out two long strips for the front of the bodice, and four shorter strips for the back.
The skirt was just too big. There was only one seam on the skirt (it was on one side), so I measured and took the skirt in at that seam. I turned the skirt so that this seam would be in the back, which would allow for a zipper.
I used the excess fabric strips cut from the seam to create straps.
Next, the skirt met the blue part of the new bodice…and it was love at first stitch.
I gathered the lace at the side seams so that there would be a slight ruched effect in the front.
I then added the lace section of the bodice, with the bottom of the lace just at the skirt-bodice seam.
The zipper was all that was needed to complete the merger of skirt and bodice. I used a recycled periwinkle zipper from a garment I’d taken apart some time ago.
As I was sewing all of the pieces together, the colors reminded me of cotton candy. So, here is the cotton candy dress…
I love the look of this dress. I’m just not sure I can call it a success, despite the fact that I spent way more time on it than any other reconstructions to date. The zipper is just not as professional looking as I’d like.
In an upcoming post, I will reveal the second garment made from this dress, and the dress made from the bodice of Saturday’s dress.
Just a little side note:
I have wanted to get this book for over a year now, and I finally ordered it with some birthday money.
I cannot wait to start making some matching shoes! The best part will be the perfect fit. 🙂 I have abnormally wide feet (those wide load signs come to mind), so I have the hardest time finding shoes.