A New Window, Some Paint and More
The house is almost to the point where we can live in it comfortably. I’ve been working on making the master bedroom a nice place to take a break from the work zones in the house, and getting the kitchen in working order.
I finished cleaning the walls and ceiling in the bedroom and bathroom. Then, I finally got the wallpaper and wallpaper paste completely removed in the bedroom. Here’s a look at the process of removing wallpaper, which I learned from my in-laws.
Staples, nails and trim
I spent one afternoon this week, removing residual staples, nails and screws from the floor and walls.
Since we will eventually be removing the wall where the closets are, as well as the one where the bathroom is, I removed the trim, door frames and doors. They were difficult to get clean, and most of the doors had holes or didn’t function well. So, I’ll be hanging some curtains in the place of the doors, for now. Believe me, even this will look better than what was there. I left the door into the actual bathroom (the location of the toilet and shower).
Lots of paint
After all of that, I finally started painting. Yay!
Now, all we need to do is paint the next coat and get a carpet remnant to use as temporary flooring in the bedroom.
A new kitchen window
This week, Alex put a new window where the kitchen will be moving. This window will be over the sink.
At first, we had a hole in the back of the house, while Alex worked on building a new frame for the window.
Since the window is over the spot where the kitchen sink will be, we had to make it a smaller window. So, we have to find some siding to match and patch the area around the window on the outside of the house. Wayne suggested we use siding from the dormers to patch this, and replace siding on the dormers with the similar, new siding that we find. This makes sense, because then the siding we use to patch the area will be aged the same as the rest of the siding.
We also made some progress this week cleaning out the gutters and other areas of the outside of the house.
Using a strap and our car, we pulled out most of the bushes the other day.
I also started pulling out the bricks along the edge of the planter (we’re changing this), and have been planning out and researching how to temporarily pot some of the lilies of the valley and the hostas.
From what I’ve been reading, lilies of the valley tend to take over the garden. I’ve noticed that they were starting to grow outside of the planter area. So, I may just decide to keep some them in a large pot. Has anyone had experience with keeping lilies of the valley in their garden, and preventing them from spreading everywhere?
Wayne helped us out on Saturday. He burned some of the yard debris and bushes in a fire pit he and Alex dug in the backyard.
You can see in the picture above that the pool is slowly starting to look better. We’ve been working on getting the chemicals right, and cleaning out all the debris that continues to come to the surface. The water is now a very light green color, and yellow in the shallow end, and not a deep green, mucky color. We need to get a new vacuum to suck more of the algae out. The one we have is in rougher shape than we thought.
Preparing for building the new kitchen
Alex and Wayne started digging down on the outside of the house behind the laundry area, and drilling through the concrete in the basement to get to the main water pipe.
I’m sorry that I still have not posted the video tour. The camera is having issues… 🙁 Hubby is working on figuring it out.