A Negroni Shirt for My Husband
I have finally ventured into the realm of menswear. I finished this shirt at the beginning of the month, but I didn’t managed to coerce my husband into standing still for pictures until the end of last week.
I’ve said that I would make him a shirt for years now, and I finally decided that it was about time I made one. I finished this shirt for his birthday at the beginning of August, but I had to make a few adjustments. So, he didn’t actually end up wearing it out until my birthday last week.
I used the Colette Patterns’ Negroni (which I’m ashamed to admit I’ve had for more than a year and a half now and just got around to sewing up). He doesn’t care for slim cut shirts. So, I thought it would be better if I made a size up, but it turned out way too big. Next time I’ll just make the size his measurements are closest to and adjust the shoulders, armholes and sleeves, and length a bit.
I had to remove the sleeves and take the side seams in quite a bit. I also, re-cut the armholes and sleeves before re-attaching the sleeves. The fit isn’t any worse than RTW shirts he’s had, but the pulling in the back armholes really bugs me. Oh well, this was basically a fit test garment anyway.
He really didn’t care for the hemline of the shirt when he first tried it on, so I shortened it and made the curve a lot less exaggerated. He also likes his clothes to be really simple, so I went with just one pocket.